Home security systems are a great thing to have in order to protect your belongings and your home along with giving you peace of mind. They usually consist of alarms and a monitor paired with security cameras. Depending on how much money you want to spend will determine the amount of protection the security system will provide you with and the amount of features you will receive.
Factors of Cost
The amount of sophistication of your home security system will play a major role in the final price. Just for the kit, not including the installation, you’re looking at between $150 and $1,500. Installation from a professional company is highly recommended to be sure everything is installed properly and that will be an added price of at least a $500, depending on the company.
There are multiple choices for security systems that will suit homes of different sizes better. For a house no larger than 3,000 sq ft. there are options that range from as little as $100. The average range for these devices is around 100 feet.
For a less simplistic system, plan on spending around $500. Kits like these will include a network remote, an average of 4 cameras, and a built in recording device.
Cost Breakdown of a Home Security System
- Basic Unmonitored System: A basic unmonitored system includes door and window sensors and costs between $100 and $300.
- Basic Monitored System: A basic monitored system includes door and window sensors and a monitoring service. The equipment cost ranges from $200 to $500, and the monitoring service costs around $10 to $30 per month.
- Advanced Monitored System: An advanced monitored system includes door and window sensors, motion detectors, cameras, and smart home integration. The equipment cost ranges from $500 to $1,500, and the monitoring service costs around $30 to $50 per month.
- DIY System: A DIY system allows you to install the equipment yourself, which can save you money on installation fees. The equipment cost ranges from $200 to $500, and the monitoring service costs around $10 to $30 per month.
- Smart Home Integration: If you want your home security system to integrate with your smart home devices, you will need to pay an additional fee. The cost ranges from $50 to $150, depending on the level of integration.
- Installation: Some security companies offer free installation, while others charge a fee. The installation cost ranges from $0 to $500, depending on the complexity of the system.
Most security systems will come will all or most of the components you need for a complete system. The most common items that a security system should come with are an alarm, the sensor which triggors the alarm, and cameras. A lot of the more modern and advanced systems are wireless but if your system is not, all cables needed to connect your system will be included with the package. Installation is much easier when your system is wireless, making it simpler for a homeowner to install themselves.
As previously mentioned, installation will not be included in the price of your home security kit. Most kits will need a professional to install them properly so depending on the size of the kit, complexity of set up, and the contractor you choose, the price will fluctuate. For an average job that is not overly complicated, count on spending between $500 and $2,000.
There are many companies that offer home monitoring as part of the home security package. This is not a one-time fee but a monthly fee. This fee will differ based on the company you decide to go with but it typically starts at $19 per month. Included with the monitoring is notifications sent to your phone if any of the sensors are set off or the alarm is triggered.
Simple Ways to Save Money
You can save a lot of money by installing your system yourself. Although it is probably a better idea to have a professional install it, you can save money in the short term by doing it yourself and then save the money for a professional to come and correct any errors in the future.
There are also many specials that monitoring systems offer which include free installation packages when you sign up for a contract. When going this route, it would make the most sense to benefit from these offers.